Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Working as a Zombie Law Research Assistant

From the Zombie Law blog, I learned about this post over at Nerdophiles where Sam Wildman gushes about his experience working as a "Zombie Law Research Assistant" for Adam Chodorow on Chodorow's article, Death and Taxes and Zombies, 98 Iowa L. Rev. 1207 (2013).  Wildman describes the work that he did and summarizes Chodorow's article (though to get the full experience, you really need to check out the whole thing.  Here is a version that might be easier to access than the one at the SSRN link).

Reading this made me realize that I'd found another opportunity to shamelessly plug my recent essay, Prosecuting the Undead: Federal Criminal Law in a World of Zombies, 61 UCLA Law Rev. Discourse 44 (2013).  It also made me wonder whether anybody can claim to have also been employed as a zombie law research assistant as a result of my essay.  It looks like I thanked a number of people in the first footnote, from people who were required to help me, people who volunteered suggestions, and people who gave me beer during the writing process.  I think all of these people have a feasible claim that they were zombie law research assistants.  I would certainly vouch for this if asked by a prospective employer.

From a textual perspective, however, it looks like Daniel Smith is the only person mentioned in the footnote who can claim with certainty to have been a zombie law research assistant because I thank him for "assisting in the research for this Essay."  If that isn't being a zombie law research assistant, I don't know what is.  This is an important bit of information to keep in mind, especially when applying for schools in the not-so-distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment