Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Even Supreme Court Justices Need Hunting Licenses

Today's Green Bag Lunchtime Law Quiz asked about a Supreme Court Justice who once ran into trouble with a game warden:

Which Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, about to set out on a duck-hunting excursion, was stopped by a game warden who discovered the Justice lacked the proper license?

Unfortunately, I came across the quiz too late to participate (though I have added a note on future quizzes to my calendar from next week until the end of time). But some quick Google searching led me to what seems to be the answer: Justice Willis Van Devanter.

Here is the link to the 1937 Reading Eagle article where I found the story of this "embarrassing" event. My favorite passage is:

"I explained all about the stamp and the purpose of the law and Justice Van DeVanter promised to get one right away," [federal game warden, George E.] King said.

No comments:

Post a Comment